Unit 1 Introduction
- How has geography influenced the course of history?
- What is history?
- Why did Parliament succeed in expanding its powers in England at the expense of the king?
- What were some of the characteristics of political modernization in France?
- Why was the era called the “Enlightenment?”
- What did Isaac Newton achieve as a scientist?
- What were the main characteristics of the Ancien Régime (Old Regime) in France?
- Who was Napoleon and why was he considered an embodiment of the revolution?
- Why did the Industrial Revolution begin in England?
- How did industrial production change Western society?
- What did the Decembrists hope to achieve through their uprising?
- Was Emperor Alexander I an enlightened monarch?
- What were the main points of Marx’ critique of capitalism?
- What were some of the distinctive features of nineteenth-century conservatism and liberalism?
Please answer each question in a long paragraph. Thank you in advance.