The information covered in this week’s lecture and reading assignments will help you with the following assignment. Your answers should be concise, complete, and typed in a Microsoft Word document. When you are finished, upload the Word document to be graded using the dropbox below.
This week’s assignment:
1. What are the safety considerations that you need to keep in mind when planning a cardiovascular program for your older adult clients? Discuss the issues and the solutions. (5)
2. What forms of cardiovascular exercise would you recommend for a client in a wheelchair? Explain the reasoning behind your answers. (3)
3.Summarize the phases of a Strength and Endurance Program as outlined in your course text. How do the recommendations for older adults differ from those you would use with a healthy, young adult? (6)
4. If you had a client who had trouble getting her heavier groceries from her car to her home, what strength exercises would you recommend for her? Explain your choices. (3)
5. Discuss the limitations you should consider when working with a client who has had a hip repair or replacement. (3)
Learning Experience (20)
Choose one of the following learning experiences. Perform the experience as instructed and write a 250 word essay describing your experience and what you gained from participating. Provide a comprehensive explanation of your findings, including the answer to the learning experience, as well as how this knowledge can benefit you in your service to your future clients, friends, and/or family.
1. Perform each of the exercises listed in this Unit. List as many additional exercises as you can for each of the major muscle groups. What are the specific benefits of each exercise versus another exercise for the same body part? When might some of these exercises be more appropriate than others you have used?
2. Make a list of the top five exercises that you would recommend for your older clients and describe in detail why you chose them. Address safety factors, effectiveness, range of motion, benefit to risk ratios, etc. Include the instructions for each exercise that you choose.