In your continuing quest to help the surrounding communities in the Gulf of Mexico, your next goal is to gather data on the issue of injuries and injury prevention.
For this assignment, chose one state from the Gulf of Mexico region (Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama or Florida) and investigate how well (or not so well) it scores on the 10 key indicators states can take to prevent injuries described in the following article, The Facts Hurt: A State-By-State Injury Prevention Policy Report published by the Trust for America’s Health (2012) Accessed here http://healthyamericans.org/reports/injuryprevention15/. You will also contrast the current state of injury prevention versus the obesity epidemic in the readings below.
McIntosh, J. et al. (2009). Early Childhood Health Promotion and Its Health Consequences.Academic Pediatrics, 9: 142-9.
Write a 2- to 3-page paper addressing the following:
- Which state are you investigating (Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama or Florida)?
- How does your chosen state compare with other states in the US on its injury-related death rate (see the interactive map from the McIntosh article)? Click on your chosen state for more information.
- What steps has your chosen state taken to prevent injuries? How does this compare to other states in the nation? Describe one or two of these indicators. Also, conduct a simple web search for images and include examples within your report to illustrate the prevention measures taken by your state. Describe briefly what is being demonstrated in your chosen images.
- Go to the CDC Injury Prevention & Control: Data & Statistics (WISQARS) leading causes of death site at http://webappa.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/leadcaus10_us.html:
- For Census Region select the South.
- Under Advanced Options select a custom age range from 1 to 5.
- Leave all other options at the defaulted selections, then select submit request.
- Include your chart in your report.
- Describe your reaction to seeing the types of injuries that are the leading causes of death among youth ages 1 to 5. How does this compare with the data you have collected on your chosen state?
- The McIntosh article you read described the main childhood health issues as tobacco exposure, unintentional injury, obesity and mental health. State your position about which you think is a greatest threat to young people in your chosen state. Please explain your answer and support your response with evidence from the background readings and other research.
There should be 2-3 references cited inside the paper, WITH THE LINK ON THE REFERENCE PAGE SO I CAN CHECK OVER THE WORK. THE MACINTOSH READING IS ATTACHED. PLEASE DONT MAKE THINGS UP.