This exam covers all readings, course activities, and lecture content assigned from Modules 1 through 3. Choose three of the five questions below. For each
question chosen, write an essay response of 250-300 words. In your
response, be sure to refer to specific concepts from the readings,
lecture notes, and/or discussions, and use these concepts to support
your points. Please state the question prior to your answer.
- Choose a social problem, and explain how the sociological
imagination, as defined by C. Wright Mills, can be used to understand
the causes and consequences of that problem. Be sure that you address
and apply the components of the sociological imagination in your
- Explain what is meant by the terms “ascribed status” and
“achieved status.” Discuss a specific example that illustrates how a
person’s ascribed status could influence his or her achieved status.
- Compare and contrast Karl Marx’s and Max Weber’s theories of
social class. Explain which theory you think is more accurate and why.
- What are the key components of culture? Discuss at least three
components of culture, giving specific examples of each component.
- Why is socialization so important to the development of our
self-concept? Explain the role of socialization in shaping our lives,
using at least three concepts from the course material in your
Submit your completed assignment in one file to the drop box below. Please check the Course Calendar for specific due dates.