When caring for a pregnant patient, it is essential to differentiate between normal and abnormal assessment data. In this assignment, you will respond to a pregnant womans assessment findings and her questions regarding what signs or symptoms would indicate a need to notify the health care provider.
Your 36-year-old patient is expecting her first child. She is 24 weeks pregnant and her maternity health checkups have been within normal limits. She excitedly mentions, My baby is moving around a lot more lately! You notice this physical examination states that her weight has increased substantially and her Blood Pressure (B/P) is 152/94 (previous visit indicates that the B/P was 132/76). She is asking questions related to how to know if she is having any problems with the pregnancy.
Based on your own experience and from your readings in this course, the Argosy University online library resources, and the Internet, address the following:
- Based upon the data you have, what other assessments should be completed at this point (including questions to ask and/or additional diagnostics)?
- How will you determine that the patient understands her current condition and other potential complications?
- What resources might be helpful to this patient?
- Are there any recommendations for follow-up for this patient? Please explain.
- Write your initial response in a 1- to 2-page Microsoft Word document.
- Your response should be thorough and address all components of the discussion question in detail. Include citations of all sources, where needed, according to the APA style. Demonstrate accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation. Use this APA Citation Helper as a convenient reference for properly citing resources.
By the due date assigned, copy your response from your document and paste it in the Discussion Area. In addition, post your Microsoft Word document as an attachment. Through the end of the module, review and comment on at least two classmates responses.
Do the following when responding to your classmates:
- Read your classmates responses.
- Provide substantive comments by doing some or all of the following:
- Contribute new, relevant information from course readings, websites, or other sources
- Build on the remarks or questions of others
- Share practical examples of key concepts from your professional or personal experiences
- Respond to feedback on your posting and provide feedback to your classmates on their ideas.
- Make sure your writing:
- Is clear, concise, and organized
- Demonstrates ethical scholarship in the accurate representation and attribution of sources
- Displays accurate spelling, grammar, and punctuation