Throughout this course we have explored specialized topics in substantive and procedural law with a special emphasis on employment law, and how these legal topics impact ethics and leadership in criminal justice and correctional organizations. Effective and ethical leadership requires adherence to legal policies and constitutional mandates as well as establishes both individual and organizational focus and direction. The issues of employment and policy law in correctional and law enforcement organizations must be incorporated into the ideology and functioning of the organization. Ethical issues and guidelines must be institutionalized and practiced at all levels. The key to success is recognizing how law affects ethics and leadership in law enforcement and correctional organizations and how they work together to ensure an effective, successful service delivery model.
You will utilize the information you have developed from your work in Weeks One through Five to develop a practical, realistic, and functional strategic plan to address actions and ideologies related to the scenario you chose in your Week Two assignment. (Be aware that if you chose to complete your assignment based on an event not included on this list, you must have contacted your instructor in advance for special approval of your topic.)
The following elements must be addressed in your Strategic Plan
- Review the instructor and peer feedback from the work you completed in the interactive assignment in Week Five. Create an introduction to your Strategic Plan.
- State the purpose of the strategic plan as a manifestation of strategic thinking.
- Provide an overall picture of the legal policies and Constitutional mandates related to the organization and how these impact strategic planning.
- Explain the value of strategic thinking and strategic planning in developing ethics in order to evaluate ethical issues and maintain an ethical organization.
- Review the instructor feedback from the work you completed in the assignment in Week Two. Explain the basic issues of employment and policy law and how those issues have influenced the event(s) in your chosen scenario. Evaluate the impact of these issues and recommend specific organizational changes that will address them and provide a rationale for your suggestions. Use your research to support your statements.
- Review the instructor feedback from the work you completed in the assignment in Week Three and apply your knowledge and skills to the scenario you have chosen for this assignment. Analyze the implementation of legal policies and constitutional mandates as they pertain to the organization in the chosen scenario. Determine if all applicable legal policies and constitutional mandates are in place and are being adhered to. In the case that all policies and mandates are satisfactorily addressed, describe how the situation could have occurred. If you identify issues with the policies and mandates, recommend strategies for implementation within your strategic plan that will address these problems.
- Review the instructor feedback from the work you completed in the assignment in Week Four. Evaluate ethical issues as they pertain to the event(s) in your chosen scenario. Examine how employment law affects ethics. Within your strategic plan, analyze specific laws and the impacts they have that either support or hinder ethical leadership. Recommend the necessary steps to address these ethical issues in order to both reinforce the positive influences and mitigate or eliminate the negative influences on organizational ideology and behavior, both now and in the future.
The Strategic Plan
- Must be 12 to 15 double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site..
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of project
- Students name
- Course name and number
- Instructors name
- Date submitted
- Must use at least eight scholarly sources in addition to the course text.
- The Scholarly, Peer Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
- Must document all sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.