Community development increasingly relies upon the internet to bridge divisions and to forge linkages among disparate communities. From Facebook, MySpace, and LinkedIn, to instant messaging and e-mail, communities across the United States have turned to the internet as a way to not only connect communities, but also to provide core government services. It is not an exaggeration to claim that the internet has transformed the way that communities do business.
In a paper, reflect upon what strategies community developers could enact to capitalize on the internet, not only to provide government services to citizens, but also to spark renewed development and interest in local communities. You may wish to focus on the following considerations:
- Do all citizens need internet access? If so, how can communities provide greater access to broadband internet for their citizens? How would this enhance responsible community development?
- What government services can be transmitted to citizens via the internet? Which should not? Why?
- Are social networking sites an effective mechanism for communities to link citizens and to encourage community development?
- What dangers, if any, confront community developers as they seek new technological means to provide linkages among citizens, and between government agencies and citizens?
You may, and indeed are encouraged to, support your arguments using strategies that you have either read about in the news or that you have seen enacted in your local communities. Use this as an opportunity to brainstorm about ways that community development can be enhanced in the Internet Age.
The final project paper must meet the following requirements:
- Be 15 to 20 pages in length
- Include a minimum of seven (7) outside sources as well as course material. Cite and reference your sources. Sources should be adequately chosen to provide substance and perspectives on the issue.
- Have the size/font set to 12 point and Times New Roman
- Be double-spaced
- Be formatted according to the APA Requirements .Make sure to include headings, per APA guidelines.
Dear writer, I am attaching to assignments that are linked to this assignment. And I ask that you use the three sources in addition to the sites that you choose to gather information from.