Of the substance disorders, alcohol-related disorders are the most prevalent even though only a small percentage of individuals actually receive help. Recidivism in the substance treatment world is also very high. As research into treatment has developed, more and more evidence shows that genes for alcohol-metabolizing enzymes can vary by genetic inheritance. Women have been identified as particularly vulnerable to the impacts of alcohol. Native Americans, Asians, and some Hispanic and Celtic cultures also have increased vulnerability to alcohol misuse.
Even with these developments, treatment continues to spark debate. For many years, the substance use field itself has disagreed with mental health experts as to what treatments are the most effective for substance use disorders and how to improve outcomes. The debate is often over medication-assisted treatment (MAT) versus abstinence-based treatment (ABT). Recently the American Psychiatric Association has issued guidelines to help clinicians consider integrated solutions for those suffering with these disorders. In this Discussion, you consider your treatment plan for an individual with a substance use disorder.
In preparation for the Assignment:
Read The Case of Kaylin and the materials for the Assignment (ATTACHED)
In your Assignment:
- Assume that you are the social worker meeting with Kaylin and you recorded this case.
- Provide the full DSM-5 diagnosis for Kaylin. Remember, a full diagnosis should include the name of the disorder, ICD-10-CM code, specifiers, severity, and the Z codes (other conditions that may need clinical attention).
- Identify and describe the assessment(s) you would use to validate her diagnosis, clarify missing information, or track her progress.
- Clearly describe how you would explain the diagnosis to Kaylin.
- Explain how you would engage her in treatment
- Identifying potential cultural considerations related to substance use.
- Describe your initial recommendations for her treatment and explain why you would recommend MAT or ABT.
- Identify specific resources to which you would refer her and explain for each resource why you would recommend it based on her diagnosis and other identity characteristics (e.g., age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, class, ethnicity, religion, etc.).
- Thoroughly support each of your explanations with social work concepts, theory, and principles from the assigned learning materials and from the scholarly articles you selected.
- Document your references and cite them throughout your post following APA guidelines.