NOT AN ESSAY
QUESTION AND ANSWER FORMAT
A minimum of 100 words per question.
DO NOT MIX AND COMBINE THE QUESTIONS.
A TOTAL OF 8 QUESTIONS.
- Imagine that you had to define a specifically American meaning for “the book of myths” in Adrienne Rich’s poem “Diving Into the Wreck.” What would you say it means?
- The writers of the Beat Generation strongly believed that the optimistic vision of America portrayed in the 19th century by Walt Whitman was forever lost. Allen Ginsburg, though, considered the father of the Beat Generation, was highly influenced by Whitman’s work and chose to use Whitman as a central theme in most of his own writing. Why do you think Whitman had such a strong influence over Ginsberg when their writing and lives were so different?
- What qualities should contemporary American poetry have, and why?
- How would you define contemporary American poetry? Why?
- Toni Morrison won the 1993 Nobel Prize for Literature. What qualities in her work make it worthy of recognition on a global scale?
- What qualities should contemporary American fiction have, and why?
- How would you define contemporary American fiction? Why?
- What do you foresee as possible trends or movements in 21st-century literature, and why?