topic: making gay marriage legal
Drafting a research paper is complicated. To make sure that you do not omit any of the critical parts of the paper, you should follow a two step process.
- The drafting table First you will construct each of the parts of the paper separately. The table guides you by reminding you what you need to include
- You will take each piece out of the chart and connect it with transitional ideas and words so the paper will flow smoothly
As you are writing, please remember these tips:
- Use transitions to connect your ideas smoothly. (Click here for reference guide to transitions.)
- Use active verbs as much as possible; avoid: is, are, was, were, be, am ,being, been.
- Avoid using contractions in formal writing.
- Never use the words, In my opinion, or anything similar.
- Vary your sentence length. Avoid choppy sentences.
- Write in the third person; avoid using the first person, I.
- Use a formal tone. Avoid slang.
- Print out your rough draft and set it aside for a day or two.
- Revise you draft for the point above. (This is NOT your final draft yet)