Assume you have been hired as a fraud examiner to investigate the situation described in the Fact Pattern.
Deliverable 1: Vulnerability Chart
Create a vulnerability chart based on the Fact Pattern.
Click on Developing a Vulnerability Chart at the bottom of the page to download instructions on developing a vulnerability chart and a sample vulnerability chart (attached)
Click on Vulnerability Chart Template at the bottom of the page to download a blank vulnerability chart that can serve as a template to create the vulnerability chart for this assignment, which should be pasted into the same document as Deliverable 2, the memorandum (attached)
Deliverable 2: Memorandum
Prepare a memorandum addressing the following:
- Identify the types of fraud occurring and the impact on Beths business.
- Identify what symptoms these frauds will generate. In addition, identify how this fraud will directly affect the revenue and inventory accounts.
- Explain the steps to be taken to search for each symptom identified in response to item #2 above.
- After identifying several symptoms, is there enough evidence to prove Ian is guilty as Beth believes he is? What other evidence is required or would be useful in this case? Is there any mitigating evidence? What legal options does Beth have right now?
- Besides searching for symptoms of fraud, what other investigative steps can be taken either to gain a confession from the fraudster or help gain further proof of fraud?
- What steps would you recommend to Beth and other small business owners as preventative measures to avoid fraud such as occurred in the case of Beths business from happening in the future? In this section, consider the motivating factors and criminal opportunities that were present.
For best organization practices, you should have a clear section in your memorandum that corresponds to each of the required components listed above (i.e., Part 1 would discuss item 1, types of fraud and impact of those frauds).
Adhere to the following standards:
- The narrative should be 10-12 pages in length, not including the title page, reference page, or vulnerability chart.
- Review the grading rubric, which can be accessed from the Course Information page.
- Be sure to follow the APA requirements
Support your interpretation with evidence from at least four peer-reviewed journal articles, or other credible sources, other than the required reading articles.
Use critical thinking to complete the assignment. I will be attaching the examples and the case.
Required readings if needed
Chapters 15, 16, and 17 in Fraud Examination
Albrecht, W., Albrecht, C., Albrecht, C., & Zimbelman, M.(2015). Fraud examination. Mason, OH: South-Western Cengage Learning.
Andre, S., Pennington, A., & Smith, B. L. (2014). FRAUD EDUCATION: A MODULE-BASED APPROACH FOR ALL BUSINESS MAJORS. Business Education & Accreditation, 6(1), 81-94.
SPERDEA, N. M., ENESCU, M., & ENESCU, M. (2011). CHALLENGES OF MANAGING E-COMMERCE. Economics, Management & Financial Markets, 6(2), 194-199.